For which types of transport or relocations is an escort or assistance needed?

When relocating port vehicles, assistance must be provided in the following cases: 


  • A Category-A1 port vehicle or a combination of which a Category-B1 port vehicle forms part is wider than 3 metres: an assistance vehicle shall precede the port vehicles if traffic from the opposite direction will be obstructed by the width of the port vehicles involved.
  • At all times when a public road with more than one lane is crossed, at least one assistance coordinator and one signaller must be deployed.
  • If a permit is required for the relocation, the permit may impose additional assistance requirements.


The assistance coordinator and signaller must be approved by the Harbour Master's Office. A police escort is no longer possible.

You might also find this interesting